Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Book Number 59

It's been awhile so I'll get straight to it then.....

The Novel: Tunnels
The Authors: Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams
Link: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/roderick-gordon-and-brian-williams/highfield-mole.htm

Tunnels is the first in a series of 3 novels written for juveniles/ young adults. This novel came highly recommended by my friend Sian. (And yes I am finally blogging about it Sian so you can relax now lol)
I found this book to be well written, but so long. It took me several days to get through this novel. The writers spent a lot of time developing the characters and their motivation that by the time it got to some action I was getting a little tired of reading it.
The idea behind tunnels is fascinating. When the action got started I was really getting into the plot and was kept interested....which is of course, why I had to read the second novel in the series fairly soon after.
Tunnels was a little dark which I like, but surprised since the target reader is in the pre-teen/ teen age...but when I think back to when I was that age and I actually preferred stories with a little bit of grimness...so it just goes to show that I'm getting old I guess.
I wish the beginning of the novel was a little more compact so that the interesting stuff happened quicker. But the wait was worth it if you have time.

I give "Tunnels" a rating of 2.75 out of 5.

moving along then......

** Note: As I've come to review the second novel in this series I've felt that I have to amend my original rating down from 3.25 to 2.75.
Changing my rating would normally be against my own rules, however this series is the exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment