Monday, February 15, 2010

Book Number 73

Another YA series. I like this series in that the focus is more on the story and characters, as opposed to being all about teen angst.



The Novel: City Of Bones

The Author: Cassandra Clare

Synopsis (Taken from the authors web page):


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon.

But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

Link: http://www.mortalinstruments.com/
My Thoughts:
I liked this novel. It was a nice escape into a fantastical world with all sorts of weird characters.
I enjoyed the plot, and the character development. One thing that I personally didn't love was how so many types (species?) of supernaturals were featured. It seemed to me at the time that there was so much going on and the introduction of so many types of beings kind of took away focus from the main characters for awhile. I understand that it was necessary for plot development to have all these types of beings in the story, but at the same time it was a bit overwhelming. (once I got into the series as a whole it balanced out and made more sense, but in the first novel it was a bit too much). Aside from that issue (which is my issue, I'm sure a lot of people will disagree that it's a problem) I enjoyed this novel and I was happy to continue on with the series.

I give" City Of Bones" a rating of 3.5 out of 5.

:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment