Monday, February 15, 2010

Book Number 75

I'm always in awe of two authors coming together to make one novel. I figure it must be a balancing act for the writers. I can't imagine how one would approach the other if they really didn't like his/her ideas or chapter. Sounds like a marriage, but without the benefit of getting to sleep together.

The Novel: Swimsuit
The Authors: James Patterson and Maxine Paetro

Synopsis (Taken from the author's web page):

THE BEACH...
A breathtakingly beautiful supermodel disappears from a swimsuit photo shoot at the most glamorous hotel in Hawaii. Only hours after she goes missing, Kim McDaniels's parents receive a terrifying phone call. Fearing the worst, they board the first flight to Maui and begin the hunt for their daughter.

...WILL NEVER BE...
Ex-cop Ben Hawkins, now a reporter for the L.A. Times, gets the McDaniels assignment. The ineptitude of the local police force defies belief—Ben has to start his own investigation for Kim McDaniels to have a prayer. And for Ben to have the story of his life.

...THE SAME FOR YOU AGAIN.
All the while, the killer sets the stage for his next production. His audience expects the best—and they won't be disappointed. Swimsuit is a heart-pounding story of fear and desire, transporting you to a place where beauty and murder collide and unspeakable horrors are hidden within paradise.

Link: http://www.jamespatterson.com/index.php
My Thoughts:
Swimsuit is pretty good. It's nice to take a break from James Patterson's Alex Cross novels (which are starting to disappoint).
I liked the premise and I enjoyed the character development. I was expecting some continuity issues, since there are 2 authors, but I didn't notice any so that's a bonus.
I find James Patterson's novels pretty easy reading. I can sit down and get sucked in quite quickly.
I was displeased with how abruptly the novel ended. I felt it could have been done better.

I give "Swimsuit" a rating of 3.5 out of 5.

I'm getting tired of well known authors letting their novels turn to shit at the end. I'm finding this a major issue lately with some of my favourites. The ending is a big part of what makes a novel enjoyable, if it sucks I'm less favorable to the author the next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment