Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Book Number 51

Just to clarify : short stories count as long as they are compiled together in a book. I said it once and I'll say it again...my blog my rules. Get used to it. :o)

The Novel: Blue Spruce
The Author: David Long
Link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Blue-Spruce/David-Long/e/9780684815893

Just like any collection of short stories, you're gonna get some good ones and you're gonna get some bad ones. I found the majority of the short stories in this collection were pretty good. Some were dry and I could feel myself skimming rather than reading for those ones.
David Long usually does a good job with the basics (character development, plot, etc) so most of his stories came across as well written.
Judging short stories is a lot different than judging a regular novel. With short stories you'll often find that there isn't a defined ending, or perhaps the story seems to start right in the middle of something...it's all good though, variety is nice.
All in all "Blue Spruce" was a pretty good read, it was nice to have variety. It was also easier for me to leave the book on my bedside table when I wanted to sleep as I didn't have to become invested in specific characters or plots.

I give "Blue Spruce" a rating of 3 out of 5.

Time to move on to "meatier" types of stories. I need some action, I need some suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment