Thursday, July 30, 2009

Book Number 13

Lucky #13, done!
So far I have read 2 books by Jen Lancaster. Both out of sequence, but I don't mind (surprise!). Sure I'll probably be a little irritated when the library finally gets her first book in for me since I'll already know some of what has happened.....But it won't bother me as much because her books are freakin hilarious. Hence why I have a girl-crush, it takes a pretty hilarious person to break through my "must read books in sequence or die" peeve.

The Novel: Bright Lights, Big Ass A Self-Indulgent, Surly Ex-Sorority girl's guide to Why It Often Sucks in the City, or, Who Are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?
The Author: Jen Lancaster
Novel Summary: From the Publisher
Lancaster hates to burst your happy little bubble, but life in the big city isn't all it's cracked up to be. Contrary to what you see on TV and in the movies, most urbanites "aren't" party-hopping in slinky dresses and strappy stilettos. But lucky for us, Lancaster knows how to make the life of the lower crust mercilessly funny and infinitely entertaining. Whether she''s reporting rude neighbors to Homeland Security, harboring a crush on her grocery store clerk, or fighting-and losing-the Battle of the Stairmaster- Lancaster explores how silly, strange, and not-so-fabulous real city living can be. And if anyone doesn't like it, they can kiss her big, fat, pink, puffy down parka.

Link:http://www.jennsylvania.com/jennsylvania/

What can I say? This book did not disappoint. I'm not surprised, this is the second book by Jen Lancaster I've read and already I am huge fan.
A well written, humorous look at her life, Jen Lancaster makes me practically pee myself laughing. I enjoy her witty humour as well as her "homage" to some of my favorite shows and movies (family guy, the big lebowski, etc)
If ever there was an author that I'd want to be friends with, it would be Jen Lancaster (if only to be corrupted by her snarky, humorous ways).
I just can't get over the use of footnotes in her novels. So funny. I also love that she has no compunction about laughing at people, telling it like it is, or using the f word.

I give "Bright Lights, Big Ass" a rating of 4 out of 5.

Hurry up and write more novels Ms.Lancaster!!

No comments:

Post a Comment