Saturday, July 11, 2009

Book Number 3

Well I did it. I finally finished book #3.
I can't say that I was too happy to have read it really, but once I start a book I feel I need to finish it. Neurotic??...Just a little....

The Novel: Secret Story
The Author: Ramsey Campbell

Link: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/ramsey-campbell/secret-story.htm

This Novel leaves something to be desired, namely character development or interesting dialogue, or scene description (ever hear of show it don't tell it, Mr. Campbell?). The idea behind the novel wasn't bad. It would have made for some good horror fiction if someone else was writing it. 2/3's of the way through the book it got marginally better. There was actually some interesting suspense going on....but frankly it was two - thirds - too - late.
The epilogue left me unsatisfied.
I found the main character annoying, not in an interesting way either.
best word to describe how I feel about this book would be "meh"

I give "Secret Story" a rating 1.5 of out of 5.

I can't say I was too surprised about how I was going to feel about this book. When I went to get books from the library, I had this book in hand and said to myself "is this the author that I found annoying before??? I can't remember, hmmm, well lets give it a go then"
Dumb! Shoulda trusted my gut.

No comments:

Post a Comment