Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Book Number 14

Have you ever read a book and weren't sure how you felt about it? And it took you several days, or longer to form an opinion?
That's me with book #14.

The Novel: Brown Girl In The Ring
The Author: Nalo Hopkinson
Link: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/nalo-hopkinson/brown-girl-in-ring.htm

I'm still not sure how I feel about this novel. It's been several days since I've read it and I can't form an honest, stick to my guns, opinion.
The novel was written well. It was an excellent first novel by Nalo Hopkinson. I found the characters interesting and well developed. The story was wildly rich and colourful.
I found the dialect very interesting, at first a little hard to follow, but as I continued to read I found myself understanding and following the characters and their story without a problem.
The main character's rise into a powerful young woman seemed almost too sudden, although I didn't mind the ending and it's outcome.

I give "Brown Girl In The Ring" a rating of 3.5 out of 5.

I don't know why I can't make an definite opinion about this book. It was good, but at the same time I'm not sure if I really truly liked it. Weird, I know. Maybe because I'm used to science fiction being different (not better, just different).
If and when I come to a final absolute opinion I'll be sure to mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment