Friday, August 28, 2009

Book Number 36

This book is not at all what I expected. The cover says "A Novel Of Suspense" it was, but not in a way that I expected at all......maybe I should spend some time actually reading the book jacket....

The Novel: The Watchers
The Author: Mark Andrew Olsen
Link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Watchers/Mark-Andrew-Olsen/e/9780764204685

The one thing I didn't realize about this book was it's full-on, in your face, religiousness. It was a good story based around (a lot) of belief and good vs evil, while the main character is running for her life trying to solve the mystery.
The writing was good, the character development was great, the plot was pretty good too...I just had a hard time getting around all the preaching. (I'm all about everyone following their own religious path, but I don't personally subscribe to an organized religion, so this book put me off slightly with all the "preachyness")
Aside from the religious overtones, the book was really good. I was interested in what the characters were doing and where they were going. I enjoyed the danger of their quest and I always like a story about a strong woman protagonist.

I give "The Watchers" a rating of 3.5 out of 5.

There is a sequel to this book called The Warriors. I intend to read this book as well. I liked the first book enough to get past all the preaching, so I figure I'll probably enjoy the second as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment